Yoni steaming also known as v-steam, vaginal steaming, womb steaming, chai-yok and bajo is a practice that provides gentle and effective support for womb wellness by improving the menstrual cycle and regulating various reproductive health issues.
Yoni steaming is the ritual of gently cleansing and healing your sacred space by allowing the warmth to permeate the entire reproductive system. The yoni steam is infused with healing herbs which are activated through the steam.
Yoni steaming has been practised in many ancient, indigenous cultures around the world. While some may think of it as taboo, it’s actually an ancient forgotten wisdom used by medicine women in African, Asian and Mayan cultures. In recent years it has growing in popularity in the West through celebrity fans such as Gwenyth Paltrow and Chrissy Teigen.
Yoni steaming involves sitting over a steaming pot of water that contains added herbs. Yoni steaming causes the herbs to penetrate vaginal tissues and offer a variety of benefits. Some people try vaginal steaming at home, but it is also available at spas. The treatment typically lasts between 20 and 60 minutes.
While it is true that your uterus and vagina are self cleaning and self
regulating organs, yoni steaming is a natural way to support your body to function optimally. However, yoni steaming is about more than uterine health. The practice brings a re-connection to the spiritual aspects of a womb owners body and the potent energy that lies within. It is not only an opportunity for us to celebrate and cherish our bodies, it is a tool for taking back ownership of our personal health, and for utilising the wisdom of our ancestors to support and nourish our well being today.
The benefits of Yoni Steaming
- Improves the menstrual cycle: The number one reason that many womb owners practice yoni steaming is
because of its ability to significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation, as well as to regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles. After the medicinal herbs release their cleansing and healing oils into hot water, they are carried via steam to the porous skin of the outer genital area, where they are absorbed. The ancient wisdom says that from there, the properties of the plants are carried through the bloodstream into the uterus where they help to dislodge the stuck material that causes discomfort during menstruation. It may sound far-fetched, but for countless womb owners around the world, the improvement of their cycles is undeniable.
- Heals the womb: In the same way that yoni steaming supports the uterus to shed old blood, it can help the miraculous organ to expel any non-essential tissue or cells, including polyps, cysts or endometrium growing outside the uterus. The result is a healthier womb, inside and out. Perhaps a result of stress and environmental toxins in our world today, many womb owners suffer from challenges such as;
- Ovarian cysts
- Heavy, painful or irregular periods
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Vaginal dryness
- Creates space for blissful relaxation: To do a yoni steam, womb owners must set aside 20-30 minutes of their time to focus on their own well-being and go inward. As they sit with themselves, allowing the gentle herbs to permeate the body and release stuck material, they often experiences a powerful release of stored emotions
and stress as well. This self care routine provides an excellent time to reflect, meditate or write in a journal, bringing a profound sense of relaxation and emotional well being.
- Deeply connects individual to their source of power: Yoni steaming is an opportunity to connect deeply with, celebrate and cherish all aspects of our bodies and their subtle energies, especially that
of our yonis. As we learn to enjoy our wombs as the beautiful, sacred centres that they are, we deepen our relationship to the powerful energy that each of us holds within.
- Detoxifies To truly live in balance: We must detoxify our environment, our relationships and, of course, our own bodies. Yoni steaming works similarly to the way a steam room is used to draw toxins out of the body via the skin, or a herbal steam is used to clear congestion from the nasal passages when we have a cold. Likewise, steaming the exterior of the vagina draws out toxins and clears congestion from within the womb. The gentle heat and moisture cause physical toxins to be released from cells into the lymphatic fluid, which is expelled from the body as sweat.
- Can make sex more enjoyable: On an emotional level, yoni steaming supports us to cultivate a profound
sense of self love and increases our self confidence which helps us to feel more sexy and sensual. On a physical level, yoni steaming increases circulation and increases lubrication, which can help increase libido and makes sex more enjoyable.
- Helps to increase fertility: There may be many reasons for fertility challenges, but one of those reasons is induration (hardened lining) and buildup of old material in the venous lakes (folds) on the uterine walls. By breaking up this excess material and releasing it through menstruation, the uterine walls are
prepared for a fertilised egg to attach and thrive. In many cases, this is the missing piece of the preparation for a successful pregnancy.
- Speeds recovery after birth: A yoni steam is called a “bajo” by Mayan midwives and is the
traditional treatment used to heal, cleanse and tone the reproductive system after birth. The ancient remedy is thought to clear any remaining material from the uterus after birth, assist with the repair of a vaginal
tear, episiotomy, or belly birth aka C-section scar and encourage the tissue to tighten. It's best to wait until postpartum bleeding has stopped before introducing warm steam.
- It feels good: Last but certainly not least, yoni steaming feels great. The warmth increases circulation to the genital area and the steam moistens the sensitive tissues, resulting in an ever so slightly tantalising sensation.
- Steaming is not recommended if you are pregnant or you think you may be pregnant.
- Steaming is not recommended whilst you're in the ovulation phase of your cycle.
- Steaming is not recommended if you have an IUD (intrauterine device).
- Steaming is not recommended if you have an internal/external infection, inflammation or fever.
- Steaming is not recommended if you are menstruating or experiencing postpartum bleeding or bleeding through miscarriage.
- Steaming is not recommended if you have any genital sores or blisters.
- Always seek the advice from a herbalist or holistic practitioner before steaming.
- Remove genital piercings before steaming .
- Wait 48 hours after shaving or waxing to steam.
- You can steam 1-2 times per month, preferably once a few days after your period and then once before ovulation but prior to male to female penetrative sex or insemination (don't want to heat up the sperm).
- Steaming is in no way a replacement for medical treatment, if you are concerned about a particular medical condition please speak with your healthcare provider.
How to steam
- Using a clay, glass or stainless steel pan (avoid plastic due to the toxins that may be released when heated) boil 1L of water on a medium heat with 2-3 heaped tablespoons of herbs for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and leave the mixture to steep with the lid on for a further 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and hover your hand 8-10 inches above the steam to check that the temperature is right for you.
- Fill your chosen bowl with the herbal mixture making sure that there is no over flow so that when you sit or hover your body isn't coming into direct contact with the water. You can either use a sitz bath secured to your toilet (make sure the toilet is thoroughly clean first), a commode or you can simply hover over the pot used to boil the herbs initially (if using the pot method make sure that your pot is yours and yours alone to be used for steaming only).
- Sit or hover over the herb mixture and cover yourself with a blanket to ensure that the heat and steam can not escape.
- Keep yourself warm, e.g. use socks and slippers and wear a robe.
- When the steam dies down, flush, compost or throw out your herbs. You must use a fresh batch of herbs for every steaming treatment.
- You may notice your next period starts earlier than "normal" and may contain more dark blood or debris. This isn't anything to be concerned about as it is the yoni steaming having a cleansing effect on your womb. If you do have any concerns please contact a medical professional.
I have a variety of yoni steaming herbal blends that you can purchase from me directly, please make contact via the contact page for more information.
Where possible I will make sure that the herbs used are organic and they will be packaged in biodegradable packaging.
Did you know that you can also drink your herbal blends?
To turn your herbs into a deliciously nourishing and cleansing tea, simply add a heaped teaspoon of herbs into your diffuser and add it to your mug of choice, pour over fresh boiled water and let steep for 10 minutes before drinking. You can sweeten your tea with agave, honey, raw unrefined brown sugar or coconut nectar.
Whether you choose to yoni steam or drink your herbs in a tea. Sit back, relax and enjoy!